Sports

[Sports][grids]

Health

[Health][list]

business

[Business][bleft]

International

[International][list]

TECHNOLOGY

[TECHNOLOGY][bleft]

Former Australian cricketer turns ‘carpenter’ after retirement

Karachi: Former Australian spinner Xavier Doherty has turned into a carpenter to meet his needs after he retired from cricket in 2017.

The 38-year-old Doherty played four Tests and 60 ODIs in which he picked up seven and 55 wickets respectively. He was also part of Australia’s 2015 World Cup-winning squad, captained by Michael Clarke.

Doherty talked about his journey in a video uploaded by the Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA). He revealed that he spent the first 12 months once cricket finished doing everything

“Right now, I am three-quarters of the way through a carpentry apprenticeship. This is my day on building sites and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Just being outdoors working with my hands, learning new things. Something completely different to cricket,” Doherty said.

“When I finished cricket, I didn’t know exactly what I was going to do. Then I spent the first 12 months once cricket finished doing everything and every opportunity that came my way. I did some landscaping, office work, cricket work and then found myself here,” he added.

“The ACA has been unbelievable really. Obviously, it hits you right between the eyes when your cricket days finish and thoughts going through your head of what’s coming next, and money and what’s my life gonna look like?” he concluded.

Doherty in his 17-year career played 71 first-class, 176 List A, 74 T20 matches and picked 415 wickets. He last played for the Kangaroos in 2015.

Read: Australia to start Ashes summer with one-off Test against Afghanistan



Post A Comment
  • Blogger Comment using Blogger
  • Facebook Comment using Facebook
  • Disqus Comment using Disqus

No comments :